Skip to ContentSkip to Footer

We’re here to help

Putting customers first is important to us. If you’re unhappy with any of the services provided by Economical or our member companies, we want to resolve it.

Your insurance broker is the first person you should reach out to address your complaint. They are a licensed industry professional who can offer a wealth of knowledge about your policy and coverage. If you have questions or want clarification on your Economical policy or claim, your broker is always your best contact to provide the information you need.

If your broker is unable to resolve your concern, please contact one of our regional offices. If our frontline customer service contact isn’t able to help, ask to speak to a supervisor.

If your concern remains unresolved, it’s time to contact the ombudsperson directly. Please note that our ombudsperson can only review complaints after steps 1 and 2 have been completed. You can contact the ombudsperson in any of the following ways:

  • Email:
  • Mail: Office of the Ombudsperson, 111 Westmount Road South, P.O. Box 2000, Waterloo, ON N2J 4S4
  • Phone: 1-800-265-9996 ext. 48215
  • Fax: 519-570-8550



The role of the ombudsperson is to carefully and objectively review complaints as a neutral third party. The investigation will assess if fair practices and processes have been applied and determine what, if any, resolution can be offered. The ombudsperson will shed light on any misconceptions, help to clarify the final position of the company, and provide you with the next steps in the complaint process. In the event of an error, a correction can be made. The ombudsperson is committed to working with you to resolve your complaint in a timely manner.

These issues are beyond the control of the ombudsperson:
• The cost of insurance and rates (outside of Alberta)
• The availability of insurance
• Dispute settlement procedures as required by law or designated regulatory authorities
• Matters that have been or are currently before the courts

Once the ombudsperson has completed a review of your complaint, you will receive an explanation of the final decision in writing — usually within 30 business days. If we’re unable to meet that deadline, we’ll let you know why and when you can expect a response.

If you’re still dissatisfied after receiving the final decision from the ombudsperson, there are regulatory and industry bodies outside of Economical that can help you to pursue your complaint further.

General Insurance OmbudService (GIO)
This is a free, neutral, federal agency that may be able to help you find a resolution. Contact them by phone at 1-877-225-0446 or on their website,

Autorité des marchés financiers (AMF)
Established by the Quebec provincial government, this regulatory body may be able to help resolve issues in Quebec. Contact them by phone at 1-877-525-0337 or on their website,

The Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC)
As the federal regulator for Economical, the FCAC is an independent agency that protects and informs consumers regarding financial products and services. Contact 1-866-461-3222 or learn more on their website,